25 Foods You Should Never Give Your Dog | Table Food Dogs Should Not Eat

Related Articles

When it comes to getting their paws on tasty treats, dogs can be opportunists, but not all everyday food and drink is safe if they come into contact with them. Find out which nine items are the most dangerous to your dog.
People who are passionate about dogs are often very generous. Our canine companions share our hearts and homes. I mean, there’s no harm in sharing our favorite human foods with our dogs, right? Certainly not. Many foods that people digest normally, such as fruits and vegetables, can wreak havoc on a dog’s body, resulting in serious health problems. Some foods that people eat, on the other hand, can be safely introduced into a dog’s diet and even provide health benefits such as joint strength, improved breath, and allergy immunity.

Dog Should Not Eat Below Fruits

  • Apple Seeds
  • Avocado
  • Grapes & Raisins
  • Persimmon, Peaches & Plum Pits
  • Rhubarb & Tomato Leaves

Your Dog Should Not Eat These Vegetables

  • Corn On The Cob
  • Garlic
  • Mushrooms
  • Onions & Chives

Never Feed These Proteins to Your Dog

  • Almonds
  • Cooked Bones
  • Fat Trimmings
  • Liver
  • Raw Meat & Fish

Pantry Items that are Harmful to Your Dog

  • Chocolate
  • Macadamia Nuts
  • Popcorn
  • Salt
  • Sugar
  • Yeast

Household Staples are Toxic For Dogs

  • Candy, Chewing Gum, Toothpaste & Mouthwash
  • Human Vitamins
  • Beverages
  • Alcohol
  • Coffee, Tea & Other Caffeine
  • Cat Food
  • Hops
  • Marijuana
  • Tobacco

List of 25 Foods That Are Bad For Dogs

  1. CHIVES, ONIONS, AND GARLIC


The onion family is particularly toxic to dogs, whether dry, raw, or cooked, and can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. Illness symptoms do not always appear right away and can take up to a few days to appear.

Almonds: Almonds should not be eaten by dogs. Almonds may not be as toxic to dogs as macadamia nuts, but if not chewed thoroughly, they can block the esophagus or even tear the windpipe. Salted almonds are particularly dangerous because they can cause water retention in dogs with heart disease, which can be fatal.

2. CHOCOLATE

Chocolate is another poisonous food for dogs, no matter how appealing it is to humans and dogs alike. Chocolate contains theobromine, a stimulant that is toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure. Dark chocolate has the highest concentration of theobromine.

3. Cinnamon:

Cinnamon should not be eaten by dogs. While cinnamon isn’t toxic to dogs, it’s probably best to stay away from it. Cinnamon and its oils can irritate the inside of a dog’s mouth, causing discomfort and illness. It can cause a dog’s blood sugar to drop too low, resulting in diarrhea, vomiting, a faster or slower heart rate, and even liver disease. Cinnamon can cause difficulty breathing, coughing, and choking if inhaled in powder form.

4. MACADAMIA NUTS

Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can cause weakness, swollen limbs, and panting in your dog’s muscles and nervous system.

5. Garlic:

Garlic should not be eaten by dogs. Garlic is an Allium plant, like onions, leeks, and chives, and it is five times more toxic to dogs than the other Allium plants. Garlic can cause anemia in dogs, resulting in pale gums, an increased heart rate, weakness, and collapse. Garlic and onion poisoning can cause delayed symptoms, so if you suspect your dog has eaten some, keep an eye on him for a few days, not just right after consumption.

6. CORN ON THE COB (corn on the cob)

If your dog eats the corn on the cob, it could be fatal. Although dogs can digest corn, the cob can cause a blockage in their intestines.

7. Ice cream:

Dogs are not allowed to eat ice cream. Ice cream is a delicious treat, but it contains a lot of sugar, so it’s best not to share it with your dog. Lactose intolerance is also a problem for some dogs. Freeze chunks of strawberries, raspberries, apples, and pineapples to give to your dog as a sweet, icy treat instead of milk.

8. AVOCADO (#5)

Avocados are another food that is toxic to dogs. Avocado plants contain a substance called Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs. It can be found in the leaves, fruit, and seed of the avocado plant.

9. ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER (n.d) (XYLITOL)

Our desire for sweet treats, chewing gum, and drinks, as well as low-fat, diet, and sugar-free products (including some peanut butter, which should always be checked before using as a treat), are frequently laced with an artificial sweetener called Xylitol, which causes an insulin release in our bodies. If your dog eats one of these sweetened foods, he or she may experience hypoglycemia, which can lead to liver failure and blood clotting problems.

10. ALCOHOL is number 10.

Even in small doses, alcohol has a significant effect on dogs. The drink not only causes intoxication in humans, but it can also cause sickness, diarrhea, and even damage to the central nervous system.

Other Foods That May Be Harmful to Your Dog

11. BONES THAT HAVE BEEN COOKED

It’s fine to give your dog a raw, uncooked bone to chew on, but cooked bones should be avoided at all costs. These can easily splinter, causing constipation or, in the worst-case scenario, perforation of the gut, which can be fatal.

12. Coconut, as well as coconut oil

Coconut and coconut-based products, when consumed in small amounts, are unlikely to cause serious harm to your pet. Fresh coconut flesh and milk contain oils that can cause stomach upset, loose stools, and diarrhea. As a result, we recommend that you exercise caution when feeding these foods to your pets. Coconut water contains a lot of potassium and should not be given to your dog or cat.

13. RAISINS AND GRAPES

Raisins can be found in a variety of foods, including cakes, biscuits, and cereals, so it’s not just the fruit form that needs to be avoided. The toxin’s active ingredient is unknown, but grapes and raisins can both cause severe liver damage and kidney failure.

14. Snack Foods with Salt and Salty Flavors

Salt in excess can cause excessive thirst and urination in pets, as well as sodium ion poisoning. Vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures, and even death are signs that your pet has consumed too much salt. As a result, we recommend that you don’t give your pets salty snacks like potato chips, pretzels, or salted popcorn.

15. Apples, apricots, cherries, peaches and plums:

Their seeds or pits are poisonous because they contain cyanide. Consumption of them can result in a variety of serious side effects, including digestive issues.

Human Food Is Not Always Dog-Friendly

IF MY DOG EATS ANY OF TOXIC FOOD, WHAT SHOULD I DO?


Even small amounts of these items can be fatal if consumed, so always act quickly and take your dog to the veterinarian.

You should never treat or medicate a dog unless a licensed veterinarian advises you to do so.

More on this topic

Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Advertisment

Popular stories